Wednesday 10 September 2014

Adjusting

Repairing the bike
This has been a decent week here in Hayward CA. We are starting to get to know the area and getting to know more members of the ward. (Not old peoples home, but a unit of the church.) We had exchanges this week too!


We were able to get a bike this past week for me, but the back wheel was broken and it had a ton of rust on it. Unfortunately it took way longer than intended to fix the bike because non of the patches would work on the inner tube! Finally in the end we bought some lubricant so that I could get the rust off and try to get the back wheel off (because it was stuck on there!). Luckily after sometime it came off and we were able to get a new inner tube fitted :-). BUT after spending all that time trying to fix it one of the zone leaders used  it because we had an exchange on Friday to Saturday. He nearly died because the brakes slipped and went underneath the wheel while going down a steep hill! So anyway, the bike is unsafe to use here because of the many hills. Luckily Elder Ah Mu who was one of my companions is selling his bike... which also has a broken back wheel... 

Building on fire

I went over to the Zone leaders Area in Union City with Elder Craft! We had a great day and we taught 4 lessons that day! It was fun! We also saw a store with black smoke coming out of it! I learned that your attitude has a HUGE effect on you. If you have a great attitude in the morning then you are setting an expectation for yourself that you will have a great day! It works pretty well. 

With Elder Craft on Exchanges

My companion, Elder Nelson, also showed me that one needs to live in the present to be able to work to their fullest. I am adjusting but it has taken me 5 weeks to adjust here. But I love these experiences because they are difficult at first, but they help you grow and now when I get transferred in the future I will be able to adjust better I feel. 


Elder Nelson is a very good at the Piano, but missionaries are very busy so there is not much time to practice or play. So we have decided to come up with a loop hole. hehe. We decided to head over to a senior center where they let people play for the people who live there! Of course that wasn't our only reason, we also met a women last week who lives there and so she invited us to come. We had a great time talking with the people there and they enjoyed the music my companion played. It seemed like he was surrounded by all the people asking him a hundred questions lol!


With Elder Craft on Exchanges
We also did some other service this week where I planted some plants and my companion mowed the grass. I love service and it is just the best thing ever! 


We also taught a few lessons. Larry is one of our investigators, he is going to be baptized on the 20th of September so we are all very excited for him to make a promise with God. I know that God loves us all, I can feel it whenever I talk to anyone, even when I have talked to them for 4 seconds! 


We found out something really cool - the father of my companion, Elder Nelson, served his mission in the Philippines at the same time as my dad!!!! They weren't companions but they knew each other and my dad has photos of him!  Amazing!!

My dad, Elder Kloosterboer with the short sleeves and
thin tie, Elder Nelson right behind him.

I love being on my mission and it is hard. I am trying to consecrate my self more because last month that is what this whole mission was focused on. I am changing and I am learning so much. I am so glad that I am able to be part of this work at this time. Our mission president shared this with us today out of 3 Nephi chapter 5 verse 13 in the Book Of Mormon. "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, [a] Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." I know this to be true. 

I love you all!

- Elder Kloosterboer